Publishing with Impact
At Hachette Australia, we believe books have the power to change minds, create empathy, broaden understanding, and make our world a better place. We are committed to seeking out brilliant writing by new and emerging voices, especially beyond traditional publishing networks and literary hubs.
Our partnerships reflect this commitment, and many of our people are involved as representatives with various publishing, bookselling, writing and cultural networks, programs and initiatives.
- Our CEO, Louise Stark, is the Convenor of the Trade Publishing Committee and serves on the boards of both the Indigenous Literacy Foundation and the Australian Publishing Association, leading the Australia Reads campaign
- Our Group Publishing Director, Fiona Hazard, serves as a member of the Australian Inclusive Publishing Initiative (AIPI) working group, driving technological changes that ensure books are accessible to all
- We are proud to partner with the State Library of Queensland for their annual black&write! Writing and Editorial Fellowships for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander writers
We are passionate about supporting not-for-profit organisations, literacy programs, and creative writing opportunities that promote diversity and inclusion, such as the:
- Indigenous Literacy Foundation (ILF) helps raise literacy levels and improve opportunities for Indigenous children living in remote and isolated regions
- Sydney Story Factory is a not-for-profit creative writing centre that supports marginalised young people of all abilities
- Emerging Writers’ Festival (EWF) celebrates creativity and innovation, nurtures new talent, and represents diverse voices from across Australia
- The Footpath Library enriches lives and nurtures a sense of social inclusion by helping those who experience homelessness to engage their mind with books
Hachette Australia has also established a new career entry pathway with a paid summer internship program for anyone interested in a career in publishing. Discover more here. We invite anyone interested in a career in publishing to view and read our Guide to Publishing booklet and virtual event featuring our people.
We are proud to support the Australian Publishers Association/Copyright Association Cultural Fund’s Publishing Industry Internship Program – please click here for more information and to apply.