How to understand, support and guide your child through the tween years (8-13)
BETWEEN is a modern guide for parents of 8-13 year-olds - also known as 'tweenagers'. Parenting expert and mother of four Sarah Ockwell-Smith will consider all the issues faced by parents and tweens today, with a focus on the biology, neurology, psychology and sociology of adolescence as well as plenty of practical parenting advice for common everyday situations.
The book will cover:
* How a child's brain and body develops in this age range and how this impacts their behaviour
*How your relationship with your child changes as they grow up - your new place as a parent
* Revisiting your own tween and teen years - why it's important to remove triggers and unhelpful inherited beliefs from your own upbringing
*Coping with common tween behaviour: disrespect, rudeness, backchat, swearing, sulks, defiance, laziness, anger and violence
* Speaking to your child about sex and relationships (including LGBTQ+ issues and body autonomy)
* Speaking to your child about racism, sexism and homophobia/transphobia
* Speaking to your child about diet, body care and body positivity
* Screen time and social media usage - how their online life impacts children today
* Sleep - how much tweens need, why most don't get enough and how to get them to have more
* Issues at school - including motivation, revision, homework, coping with workload, school related anxiety
Sarah Ockwell-Smith is the mother of four children. She has a BSc in Psychology and worked for several years in Pharmaceutical Research and Development. Following the birth of her first child, Sarah re-trained as a Paediatric Homeopath, Antenatal Teacher and Birth and Postnatal Doula. She has also undertaken training in Baby Massage, Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy. Sarah specialises in gentle parenting methods and is co-founder of the GentleParenting website (www.gentleparenting.co.uk). Sarah writes a parenting blog (www.sarahockwell-smith.com) which is read by 3 million parents per year, and is the author of BabyCalm, ToddlerCalm, The Gentle Sleep Book, The Gentle Parenting Book,The Gentle Discipline Book, The Gentle Potty Training Book, The Gentle Eating Book, The Second Baby Book and The Starting School Book. She frequently writes for magazines and newspapers, and is often called upon as a parenting expert for national television and radio.