Writing your life story is one of the greatest gifts you can give your family. In writing it you will find yourself drawing even closer to your children and grandchildren. You will also find it an exciting and fascinating process, one that helps you to make sense of your own life. Writing your own life story is also a very good way for creative writers to find inspiration and get started in the 'habit' of writing.
This step-by-step guide will steer you through different ways of telling your life story, in ten easy steps:
- HOW TO BEGIN
- USING THE POWER OF MEMORY
- HOW TO START YOUR RESEARCH
- DIFFERENT WAYS OF STRUCTURING YOUR LIFE STORY
- HOW TO MAKE YOUR LIFE STORY STAND OUT WITH PICTURES, COLOURS AND SMELLS, ETC
- HOW TO PROVIDE A CONTEMPORARY FEEL TO YOUR LIFE STORY
- BRINGING THE REST OF THE WORLD INTO YOUR STORY
- HOWTO END YOUR LIFE STORY
- AND MAKE SURE THAT IT DOESN'T HURT ANYONE (INCLUDING YOURSELF)
- HOW TO PRESENT YOUR LIFE STORY AND GET IT PUBLISHED
- STORIES TO INSPIRE YOU
Nowadays, you can publish your life story should you want to do so. For a small amount of money, you can get a few bound copies or you can publish it free on the net. Don't miss this wonderful opportunity to write an heirloom which will last for ever.
Sophie King is author of such novels as The School Run, The Supper Club and The Wedding Party for Hodder. She also writes under the name of Janey Fraser for Random House. Her other How To Books are How To Write Short Stories for Magazine, How To Write Your First Novel and How to Write Your Life Story in Ten Easy Steps. Sophie is an active creative writing tutor and attends many of the annual writing conferences as a speaker.