Lynda Gardener and Ali Heath advise us on organising our linen cupboards in this extract from their book, Curate.
A dedicated linen cupboard is one of life’s luxuries - if you have space, it is a valuable storage asset. Read on to discover Lynda Gardener and Ali Heath's tips for organising the perfect linen cupboard:
- Work out what space your cupboard allows - and arrange your sheets and duvet covers by colour and size. Treat your stacks of bedding with care. Fold each piece the same way, to create stylish order.
- Stack pillows on top of each bedding set in size order - whether standard, super king or square. It will save lots of time searching, especially if you like to mix and match. Add bundles of decorative pillow covers next to your bed linen: embroidered, monogrammed, velvet, linen or decorative lace, they look wonderful arranged in artistic piles.
- Consider wrapping each set of bed linen in different coloured linen or velvet ribbons - and attaching a handwritten tag to mark the size. In a busy household, this might be a step too far, but if time, it will ensure that your linen cupboard is ordered for life.
- Create a lower shelf for decorative cushions, quilts and throws - pieces that you choose to change seasonally, but don’t need to access easily every week.
- Use wooden cedar balls, scented soaps and sprigs of lavender - to sit in between the piles and keep sheets fresh and dust-free.
- If space allows store towels too - folded and ordered again by colour.
- Hand textiles down through the family - reminiscent of the French ‘trousseau’ idea, special pieces that have been collected, preserved and looked after, can be passed on to future generations.
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
Lynda Gardener is an Australian based interior stylist. She is the founder of one of the first global lifestyle stores, Empire, which she started in her 20s in Melbourne, and ran successfully for over two decades. Lynda also consults on design and interior styling projects, for both commercial and residential clients, in Australia and abroad. Her work is regularly featured in high-profile international press, including Country Style, Elle Decoration, Homes & Gardens, Livingetc, Modern Rustic, Vogue Living and VT Wonen. You can visit her Instagram or website to learn more.
Ali Heath is a UK based interiors writer, stylist and content creator. Her work is featured regularly in many notable titles including Country Living, Elle Decoration, Elle Decoration Country, Homes and Gardens, House & Garden, Livingetc, Modern Rustic, Red, the Telegraph and YOU Magazine. She collaborates with various leading photographers and her work is also syndicated internationally. Ali also set up a successful antiques business, after working as New Business director for a top below-the-line marketing agency. You can visit her Instagram or website to learn more.